Volunteer drivers are essential in helping our veterans get from A to B. Whether it's collecting them from their homes to bring them to our centres, driving them to appointments, or getting them out for a day trip, our transport team enable our veterans to do the things they need to do.
This role is ideal for someone who likes driving and getting out and about, and can make our veterans feel at ease along the journey. It's simple: arrange pick up, let the veteran know the journey details, take them to the destination, and help them enter and exit the vehicle. Job done!
Although you will be working independently, your manager is just at the other end of the phone and there is a network of other volunteers for you to link in with too. Volunteers must be over the age of 21 years and have held their licence for 2+years. You will need to have your own car, but we will cover all reasonable expenses. The role can be flexible around your other commitments, but we ask that you are reliable and punctual for our veterans. You will be fully trained and supported so you feel comfortable and confident in your volunteering.
What you will be doing
- Transport veterans to various locations
- Provide passengers with full details of journey e.g. pick up and arrival times
- Guide veterans who don't have an escort
The skills you need
- Happy to work individually
- Full, clean driving licence
- Own car
- Friendly & Welcoming
- Good at using initiative
What's in it for you
- Full training and support
- Reasonable out-of-pocket expenses
- Helping our veterans re-engage with their communities
A DBS Check will be required for this role